Welcome to the Department of Energy Privacy Program Office. Our mission is to ensure the effective implementation of the Department of Energy Privacy Program. We’ve developed this section of the website to give you information about our Privacy Program framework, as well as privacy in general by providing resources and tools designed to provide guidance on a host of privacy issues.
The Program is based on the Privacy Act of 1974, as implemented by Office of Management and Budget Circular A-130, the E-Government Act of 2002, and Departmental policies. The objective of the Program is to balance the information requirements and operational needs of the Department against the privacy interests of the individual
The Privacy Office performs multiple functions, to include:
- Developing and implementing policy and serving as the DOE focal point for Privacy matters,
- Providing policy guidance and assistance to Departmental Elements in their implementation and execution of their Privacy responsibilities,
- Reviewing new and existing laws, regulations and policies which impact on privacy,
- Coordinating and submitting for publication in the Federal Register Privacy Act system of record notices and Privacy Act rulemaking,
- Reviewing and coordinating HQ approval of Privacy Impact Statements,
- Planning and performing Department-wide reviews to determine compliance with the Privacy Act, Section 208 of the E-Government Act, and Departmental Privacy Program policies,
- Providing required Privacy reports,Serving as the principal advisor to the Senior Agency Official for Privacy,
- Providing administrative support to the Department of Energy Privacy Incident Response Team.